Followers

Sunday, September 9, 2007

tell me the truth!!!

“Tell me the truth, are you serious with me Jerry?! Are you serious about us?!” Emily was so frustrated when she found out that her boyfriend is cheating on her.

“C’mon Emmy, we’re only 17! Sooner or later, we will see other people right? It’s not that we’re going to get married after SPM…” Jerry was pretending macho without even apologizing.

“That’s it lah! We’re so through Jerry. Goodbye!” Emmy then took a taxi and went home.

………………………………………..

“You did WHAT Jerry? You broke up with Emmy? Hold it, she dumped you???” Eddie was so surprised and excited to hear the big story. It could be the talk of SMK St. Joseph.

“It’s not like what you think Ed. You know very well how much my parents wanted me to go for engineering. They want me to focus on my studies. I decided that I should focus just on one thing at the moment- my SPM. I can’t just tell Emmy that we should break off just because of SPM; she will think that I’m coward and childish. Indirectly, she will hate the term ‘SPM’ and unhealthily affects her preparation for the exam. I certainly don’t want that to happen to her.

I purposely went out for a movie with Debbie in front of her. She didn’t know that Debbie is my cousin. I want her to get the idea that I am not a good guy. I assumed that she got the message right. I hope that she’ll forget about me and do her best in SPM.

You know what Ed? Deep down in my heart, I still love Emily…no matter how much she hates me right now…” Jerry was trying his best not to be seen in tears.

“Jerry, I know what you felt. We’ve been together since our early schooling years in St. Jude. Be strong brother.” Eddie tried to console his best friend.
………………………………….……
“Emmy, are you serious???! You broke up with Jerry? But…but that’s impossible. All of us know how much he loves you Emmy!” exclaimed Claire as they were hanging out at Tun Jugah.

“Yeah, remember the last Valentine? He gave you a rose AND a small box full of ‘Snickers Chocolate’. We thought it was so funny and cute, coz’ that amount can last you for a year, haha…ops, sorry…” added Mary Anne who is famous for her too-much joke.

“Emmy, among the four of us here, you are the craziest. But when it comes to relationship thing, I have to admit that I do respect you because you are such a faithful girl. Do you still have a feeling for Jerry? Do you forgive him, Emmy?” Sarah was showing her concern.

“No. I hate him. I won’t forgive him Sarah.” Emily was certain of her answer.

…………………………………………..

Eddie was actually relieved when he heard about the news. And the reason why? All this while, he had been keeping a secret. He likes Emily very much but he just couldn’t tell her because his best friend Jerry is Emmy’s boyfriend. Now you do the maths.

Is this a great opportunity for Ed? A golden opportunity, perhaps, but little did he know that Jerry knew about Ed’s secret all along. C’mon, it’s so obvious! Before Jerry and Emmy got together, Eddie always shared with Jerry how much he admired Emily. Well, it’s not the greatest discovery of the century.

…………………………………………..



“Eddie… thanks for being there for me over the past 2 months.”

“It’s okay Emmy. It’s what a guy should do anyway. I’ll pay the bill,” Eddie offered himself to pay for the lunch.

“Ed…”

“Yes Emmy? What is it?”

“I think I’ll give it a try.”

“Really? You mean, you wanna give me a chance?”

“Yes.”

………………………………………

Even though Emmy couldn’t forget how much Jerry meant to her, she purposely accepted Eddie to speed the erasing process. When love and hate collides, people tend to become short-minded. Emmy is now Eddie’s girlfriend.

…………………………………….

“How long Ed, shall we keep our relationship a secret? Sooner or later people, especially Jerry will find out.” Emmy threw a fact of reality at Eddie’s face. Altogether, it had been 2 months since their relationship started.

“I’d rather be like this, without anyone noticing especially Jerry. I don’t wanna hurt Jerry. Can I have the happiest months in my life in privacy, only me and you just for the moment, please?” Eddie expressed his request with a sad voice. He looked week and pale.

Emmy was surprised and a little scared by Eddie’s weird answer and request.

“Eddie, are you alright? Why did you say such strange things? ‘Just for the moment’? What’s going on Ed? Tell me!” Emmy was getting nervous. The remembrance of the hurt from her previous relationship started to occupy her mind.

Eddie was speechless.

……………………………………

“Eddie, I knew what’s going on. You really think I’m stupid?! Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Jerry was so furious. It’s about time that he set things right once and for all.

“Jerry, I’m afraid if I tell you, you will kill me. I went dated Emmy because she needs somebody by her side…I’m sorry Jerry,” Eddie was overwhelmed with guilt.

“YOU FOOL! I WASN’T TALKING ABOUT EMMY AT ALL! I’M TALKING ABOUT YOU, YOU IDIOT!” Jerry couldn’t believe that his soul buddy thought he can live in a lie forever.

He went on to continue.

“Eddie, I know about your brain cancer long ago, since it’s very first stage. Oh yes, the doctor that you consulted is one of my relatives. I forced him, so he told me everything, including the part that you don’t want anybody to know about your fatal illness except for your family members.
When I heard about it, I cried the whole night thinking that I will lose my best buddy in the world. Not just that, I cry because I’m afraid that you will leave this world with some dreams unachieved, especially ‘Emmy’.
I know how much you love her in secret. I want you to be happy and feel her love for a moment even if it means hurting myself. I’m not angry because you took my place, I’m angry because you never shared your problem with me.

I called you and asked you out not because I know that you will ‘belanja’ me as always but…I wanted to tell you that I want Emmy back.” Jerry dropped the worst line.

Eddie was in silence. Nothing was said in response to Jerry’s request. Finally,

“Ok Jerry, I will step back…but why now Jerry, why now?” Eddie needed a clarification.

“Well, SPM is over and my parents won’t be watching my back anymore.” Jerry clarified. It was indeed clear enough.

TO BE CONTINUED
…………………………………………

No comments: