Followers

Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Bell Tower

THE BELL TOWER

She walked calmly straight into the compound of St. Francis’ Church, Massachusetts. It was a fine Thursday during the spring time in 1984. The caretaker welcomed her and confirmed to her that the vicar is in his office.
“Another appointment with Reverend Ronald today, Mrs. Laney?” asked the caretaker as he was watering the newly bloomed lilies. Obviously, Angeline is not a stranger to him.
“Yes Sylvester, I’m here for the counseling session. Today is Thursday, right? But I don’t see his car nearby,” replied Angeline.
“Oh, the Reverend’s car? It’s in the garage. He sent it to the mechanic last Monday and he’s driving Mrs. Ronald’s car for the moment. I won’t be stealing anymore of your time so I better let you proceed with your appointment ok?” Sylvester suggested.
“Thank you Sylvester,” was the short reply.

***************

“Come in,” replied the pastor as he heard the knockings on his door and the greeting.
“Good morning pastor,” said Angeline as she removed her fur coat. “How are you, your wife and the two twins?” she added.
“Good morning Angeline. I’m fine. My wife? Oh, she’s as fine as usual and as beautiful as always. Praise The Lord for that. The two monsters are currently with their grandparents in the farm. You know, now it’s spring time and the boys surely don’t want to miss watching the river flows from the icy hills as the ice melts. And you, how are you today Angeline?” inquired Reverend Ronald with a warm smile.

“Oh, I’m glad to hear about your family. I am as usual, trying to find peace in my life after my third marriage failed.” Her reply indicates that they always share about their lives and exchange life’s experience.

Then they talked and shared the word of God while reflecting on the past…
****************

“Why are you doing this to me???” Ronnie just could not believe that his girlfriend is cheating on him.
“I thought all this while, after you begged for me to accept you, you would change your wild lifestyle. You have promised to me! And look what you have done!” he could not control his temper anymore.

“Look Ronnie, I have found a guy who said he’ll accept me for who I am. You heard that? He isn’t like you, always try to correct and control me! Besides, he has a big bike.” As soon as his girlfriend finished that last sentence, exactly about the same time her new boyfriend arrived on the 1948 Indian Harley Davidson. Both rode the bike and gone in the horizon. Ronnie was left alone. It was exactly like a scene in a movie. Everything seemed to have been planned earlier, purposely to hurt Ronnie; at least that’s what Ronnie believed. He blamed God.

*************
“Father, tell me a good reason why I should live for another day. I’ve been trying to forget all of my hurts and bitterness but I just can’t! They keep on coming every night,” in tears, Ronnie asked his trusted local priest.

“My son, I really do not know what else I can tell you but I really want you to know that a lot of people out there love and cared for you very much. Since I cannot tell you anything else, come and follow me,” the old Reverend Jacob instructed Ronnie to follow him to the compound of the church.

Once they were outside, Reverend Jacob brought to Ronnie’s attention an old bell tower.

“Ronnie my son, do you see that old bell tower? The giant bell is still in a good condition but nobody wants to strike it anymore because it is just too noisy and has lost its function. Originally, it was used to alarm this whole village hundreds of years ago when the civil war was spreading across America. Go ahead, feel free to pull the rope and strike it as many time as you want!”

Thinking that this could be a medium to release his anger, Ronnie ran to the tower. Without any hesitation, he had a firm grip on the worn rope and with all of his might, started to ring it on and on.

The sharp-noisy sound of the bell went across the village, down the hills and ridges, drowned the flowing sound of the Mississippi River and finally heard by a neighboring village.

Everybody around paused for a moment, wondering what was going on.

Suddenly, the whole land was in a total silence. Time seemed to have stopped that day. Children stopped pushing their carts. Men in the fields hushed their horses. Women grinding the wheat looked at one another. Everyone fixed their eyes looking at the hill where they can see from afar a young man, crying and striking the bell. They seemed to understand his pain. So they let him.

****************
“Ronnie, I think that’s enough,” Reverend Jacob said as he placed his arm on Ronnie’s shoulder. The young man looked pale. Tears were unstoppable. He keeps on pulling the rope with his remaining energy. A distinctively stubborn young man.

“Release the rope slowly.” That was his next instruction.

As Ronnie was holding the rope with both of his hands, he released his left first. Then, as he realized that as long as he still holding the rope, there’s no way that the bell would stop ringing, so let go of the rope entirely.

Little by little, the sound of the big bell slowly started to fade away as the momentum was decreasing. Then it stopped.
*****************
“What are you trying to say to me, Reverend?” Ronnie knew now that this is more than just about releasing his anger or expressing himself by striking the bell like a mad man. He looked down staring at the ground. He didn’t look up for he didn’t want to be seen in tears. He looked away.

“Well, what I say is not important but what you think of what I say, that is important. Let it go, just as you let the rope go off. The problem is you are never ready to let it go. That’s why the bitterness is still ‘ringing’ in your head.” The priest tried his best to touch the youngster’s heart.

“I understand now Reverend. I will move on from here then. Thanks a lot Reverend. Goodbye.” Ronnie said as he started to walk away from the old priest.

“Hold it Ronnie. What’s your full name again?”

“Ronald…Ronald Unrich.”

***************

Years went by as Ronnie struggled to collect the pieces of his broken heart. Somebody in his life had told him that “If you want God to fix your broken heart, surrender all the pieces to Him.” He walked faithfully with God, he heard the ‘ringing’ no more.

Ronnie, or should I call him Reverend Ronald, took over the church after Reverend Jacob peacefully passed away in one summer morning. He cared very much for the church, worked with the town folks so well that he is blessed in every way. He married a dentist, blonde lass who came all the way from South Carolina. Together, they walk with God in running the church.

Things were hard in the beginning, but as God had promised, He will always remain with you even until to the last days.
*******************
“Ronnie, please accept me back…I’m begging you…I was wrong, I thought Raymond was the right man but I was wrong! He’s an animal! He used me in his illegal races…I am just a seasonal trophy for him! I’ve been used. I’m dirty Ronnie, please..!”

“Out of my sight you dirty fella!” Ronnie was fuming when his ex-girlfriend shamelessly crawling back to him one day.

This is life. Welcome to reality. In her pursuit of instance happiness, Ronnie’s ex-girlfriend fell into the trap of some illegal racers and she was forced by Raymond to ‘pay’ his losses. Whenever Raymond lost a bet in a race or owed money to people, she was his solution.
**************
“So, is that all that you wanna share today Angeline?” finally Reverend Ronald broke the silence.

“I don’t think I have anything else to share with you Reverend. I’ve shared everything and you’ve prayed for me. I hope this will be my last counseling session with you Reverend.” Angeline was preparing herself to go home.

“Alright then, hope to see you in church this Sunday. God bless you always.” The priest concluded as he stood up to accompany Angeline to the door.

Suddenly Angeline turned back and looked deep into the Reverend’s eyes and said:

“Ronnie, if I didn’t follow Raymond that day, I wouldn’t have suffered this much.” ®

******* THE END ******

3 comments:

Didiey Diyanna said...

one thumb up for this story... :)

pado_sado said...

written out of anger, but turns out to be a message to myself...hehe

Daughter of the Shepherd said...

owwww ~~